Soil should be loose and possess necessary nutrients and amendments to ensure the sod takes root and grows in healthy, green, and long lasting. Northern Nevada soils are typically lacking in essential nutrients. The addition of organic material improves root growth and provides nutrients to sod while retaining moisture at the root zone. You should apply organic nutrients into soil 4-6” deep.
Dayton Valley Turf offers soil testing services to determine what soil amendments are needed in your planting area for successful root establishment and healthy growth of your new lawn. Our Turf Experts offer custom soil analysis for only $100. Here is how to take your soil sample:
- Collect your soil sample from the area to be planted by clearing the area of debris. Walk in a zig-zag pattern across the entire area while collecting scoops of soil since one section can vary in soil composition from another.
- Combine your soil samples into a large bag and then scoop out about 2 cups of soil.
- Seal the soil in a plastic bag and bring it into Dayton Valley Turf’s experts for testing.
- The test results will be available within 10 days.
- Your report will allow Dayton Valley Turf’s experts to provide you with a customized plan of soil enrichment.